Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How do I remove the crank pulley bolt so I can change my timing belt?

I'm trying to change the timing belt on my 1997 VW Jetta 2 liter. I can not remove the crank pulley bolt even with a 1/2' impact. Am I turning it the wrong way? Is it counter clockwise or clockwise? The bolt head is a 19 mm 12 point. Any tips on how to remove it would be appreciated.How do I remove the crank pulley bolt so I can change my timing belt?
Take the 19pt, and use a 6 inch 1/2 inch extension, and a 24%26quot; breaker bar.



Place the socket on the bolt.

Place the extension on the socket.

Place the breaker bar on the extension and brace it on the ground.



Stand well clear





either jump the starter to 12Vdc, or use the ignition key to kick the starter....How do I remove the crank pulley bolt so I can change my timing belt?
For all the times (15) I have replaced timing belts, at NO time did I have to remove the crank pulley bolt.

If you want to take off the crankshaft pulley there are3 allen head screws that hold it onto the crankshaft. You may have to pick out the mud and tar out of the holes with a small screwdriver or a nail(or both) and it is a %26quot;metric%26quot; allen key. Using an imperial measure wrench in it is a guaranteed F.U.as there is no size %26quot;close enough and you will round out the inside of the hole. Then it becomes a real pain with a visegrip(maybe) They are on tight so you need to get the allen key in deep and probably twack the end of key with the hammer(lefty loosey) to get it started. WD40 is not of use here as these are torqued on.

Once the pulley is off, then the plastic housing that protects the timing belt from road crud pulls off easily(after you loosen a few bolts).

Had you got a repair manual from the public library, it would have told you this with pictures to boot.How do I remove the crank pulley bolt so I can change my timing belt?
u really dont take off the pulleys, u lock the cam and the crank pulleys and then there should be a tensioner u can move, please dont take the crank pulley off or your car will be out of timing and run like a bag of sh!t