Wednesday, September 14, 2011

After changing the timing belt in my 1997 Ford Ranger there is substantial power loss, how can I fix it?

I changed the timing belt in my 1997 Ford Ranger, It seemed to go pretty smooth but since the repair I have been having some problems. There is substantial power loss in every gear I cannot even get any acceleration out of 5th even while going 70 or 75. Also, if I drive a short distance such as 5-10 miles my truck wont turnover until it completely cools back down, but if I drive an hour and stop then It'll crank right back up. Before I realized it was the timing belt I removed the gas tank and checked the fuel pump, now when pumping gas the fuel pump seems presurized so that may have somthing to do with the power loss. Please help if you have any incite on any or all of these problems.After changing the timing belt in my 1997 Ford Ranger there is substantial power loss, how can I fix it?
Yeah, sounds like the slack is on the wrong part of the belt, and/or timing marks are off. Just for stop gap measure maybe you can turn your distributer to get it to drive better, but the real answer is to take it apart and see what you screwed up when redoing the belt.After changing the timing belt in my 1997 Ford Ranger there is substantial power loss, how can I fix it?
Your timing is off!!!!! Remove the belt and try again or take it to a shop. I have seen this happen to dozens of cars and trucks. Your can gear turned on you while installing the belt. GOOD LUCKAfter changing the timing belt in my 1997 Ford Ranger there is substantial power loss, how can I fix it?
Common mistake is to give slack on wrong side of belt. Or two had it slipped prior to changing,and did you align bottom end and top end to top dead center. Be careful till you get it right you could damage a valve. I hate belts. The new ones use a chain,but with a aluminum block,the chain will outlast the cylinders.After changing the timing belt in my 1997 Ford Ranger there is substantial power loss, how can I fix it?
Since you actually changed the timing belt I would start there. If you got the timing off on the belt more than a few teeth you could notice a substantial powerloss. You need to go and check to make sure your belt is in time. This usually starts with putting cylinder 1 at top dead center and aligning marks on the cam somewhere on the housing.After changing the timing belt in my 1997 Ford Ranger there is substantial power loss, how can I fix it?
As others have already posted, YOU MIS-TIMED THE ENGINE. ANY time you have a new issue directly after a %26quot;repair%26quot;, ALWAYS %26quot;go back%26quot; to where you were before, to find what you did wrong.
  • oil pollution
  • web page host
  •