Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Is there any reason to change a timing belt on my 01 Tacoma 3.4 at 89k to be safe, or wait until 90k?

I've never had a vehicle long enough to need a belt, so I don't know how reliable a timing belt is, but I have 89k on it and plan on doing a wp at the same time; should I safely be able to take it to 90k without a problem? I know that the recommended interval for this engine is 90k, but I believe it is an interference engine. Opinions?Is there any reason to change a timing belt on my 01 Tacoma 3.4 at 89k to be safe, or wait until 90k?
Change the belt! Particularly since it is an interference engine. Timing belts are relatively durable, but unlike timing chains, they were not designed to last the entire life of your car. Belts warp and tear over time.



I had a timing belt go out on my previous car (17 year old Toyota with over 165k on the odometer at the time). Luckily it was a free-wheeling (non-interference) engine and there was no valve damage. However, I was stranded on the side of the road, had to pay for towing, and wasn't able to make it to work that day because of it. If the belt is expected to last 90,000 miles, I would personally probably change it every 85,000 just to be safe. You wouldn't run a car on almost-bald tires, would you?



Also, change the water pump at the same time. Might as well since you will be in there anyway.



Better safe than sorry, I always say. I find Toyotas to be extremely reliable, but even the most reliable engines will fail if not properly maintained and cared for. 1,000 miles may not make much of a difference, but all it takes is a stroke of bad luck to screw up a perfectly good engine. No sense in procrastinating.



Best of luck. Take care of that truck and it will take care of you. There's no telling how long it will last you if you treat it right.Is there any reason to change a timing belt on my 01 Tacoma 3.4 at 89k to be safe, or wait until 90k?
Do what the dealer says--if it says 90--its 90---89 is a thousand off--one crummy month--do it and stop playing around.Is there any reason to change a timing belt on my 01 Tacoma 3.4 at 89k to be safe, or wait until 90k?
Recommendation? The timing chain on my car is supposed to be changed every 150,000 miles... I'm at ~305,500 on the original chain. Of course I inspect it every year when I adjust the valves, but it's still in great shape. Check the belt to make sure it's not loose, cracking, or lost its rubbery feel. If it seems okay, go ahead and wait till 90k miles if that's what's recommended.Is there any reason to change a timing belt on my 01 Tacoma 3.4 at 89k to be safe, or wait until 90k?
ive driven cars 50k past their recomended belt change....of course i dident care about those cars,my advice is change itIs there any reason to change a timing belt on my 01 Tacoma 3.4 at 89k to be safe, or wait until 90k?
If it was me, I would just go ahead and change it at 89k. I would kick myself in the *** if I decided to hold off and the belt broke. Broken timing belt=sending the pistons up into the valves=very bad news and lots of money for repairs. This is just my humble opinion, do what you and your wallet allows you too.Is there any reason to change a timing belt on my 01 Tacoma 3.4 at 89k to be safe, or wait until 90k?
Any time you have this kind of decision to make ask what is your risk vs reward



Risk = broken timing belt

Reward = one month of time



Whether you get it at 89K or 90K miles, are you going to hold it for another 90K? If not then you'll only do one change so then then just get it now.

===

My Audi is recommended for 90K. But everybody is screaming about timing belts breaking as low as 70K. So I had it change at 60K miles. I figure I would have to do it sooner or later, and I don't plan on holding the car till 120K (another 60K). So either way I would only do 1 change so why risk riding it for so long?



===

Besides how dumb are you going to feel if the belt broke so close to your change period (especially after asking yourself this question)?



Keep the paper work. My brother's timing belt broke few hundred mile out because the %26quot;pro%26quot; made it too tight.



Good Luck.Is there any reason to change a timing belt on my 01 Tacoma 3.4 at 89k to be safe, or wait until 90k?
I'm not big up on cars now a days but i do own a 1974 Chevy Nova. When I bought it I dug straight in to the engine to find out anything that may have looked strange. I didn't notice any Thing until about the 5th time i drove it when i smelt something strange. I pulled over and popped the hood to find MY timing chain unwrapped and gnarled around the alternator. This was not a good thing. It was easily replaceable. Although it is almost 35 years old I new right when I got it to replace the belts for ever thing. What I think would be a helpful bit of information is how long you personally have had this vehicle. Oh and to answer your question. Yes you should change your timing belt. In my past I find that if I ask questions about something (especially cars) its more than likely that it is a yes :) besides it never hurts to replace something.Is there any reason to change a timing belt on my 01 Tacoma 3.4 at 89k to be safe, or wait until 90k?
The recommended mileage has a safety factor build in so you are very safe going to 90K, I would not go too much over that.