Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Do you have to remove the engine to change a timing belt on a 2000 toyota tacoma?

I was told that Tocoma timing belts had to be changed around 90k before they broke, damaging the engine. Is this even true? And how much trouble is it to do it yourself given mechanic experience?Do you have to remove the engine to change a timing belt on a 2000 toyota tacoma?
DO NOT DO IT YOURSELF. Seriously, I think your Tocoma should have the 3.4 liter V6, which I have in my 2002 4Runner. Its a big production to do it. I had it done at the dealer. Good plan, right? Guess what - After driving about 150 miles, it fell off! They didn't tighten the crank shaft properly (those were the words of the mechanic I took it too near where it died, as well as the dealer, after they checked it out). Well, too bad for the dealer, they had to come pick it up (140 miles door to door each way for them) and then they did have to yank the engine out to fix the mess.



Its an expensive service at the dealer (about $500, if I remember correctly), but you can probably get your local mechanic to do it for less.Do you have to remove the engine to change a timing belt on a 2000 toyota tacoma?
I have changed the timing belt on a 91 Toyota Camry, we didn't have to remove the engine but it was a big mess. You can order or buy the book at parts stores such as O'Reiley's or AutoZone, the book will tell you.

If you have the maintenence book, it's step by step. I had never changed one before, but I did it with the book, and a little help from family members. I think it is true about damaging the engine. IF you can't afford the labor for the fix (which IS expensive), buy the book for $15 and do it yourself :)